Wednesday, June 19, 2019

#horses - #Need help with lease horse


Need help with lease horse

Hey everyone. So I've started a free lease with a horse in my local area and I am having a couple issues. The woman who owns the horse doesn't have enough time for her so she wanted someone to look after her (where I come in), however before she found me, this poor horse was more or less left to be wild in a paddock with three other horses. Of course, she has grown very attached to them.

Now I am not an experienced horse person. I've been riding since I was 7 (I'm 19 now) but that's about it. The lady makes her seem like you could just hop up on her and is very keen for me to ride her. But judging the horse on her behaviour, I wouldn't feel safe.

I've read up a bit online about a herd bound horse and I've separated her from the other horses. She can still see them though, but there is nowhere else to put her. This was 3 days ago and she was pacing up and down the fence, trying to get out. I've been to see her everyday, and I thought she was calming down, but she is still pacing the fence.

Today, I tried to get her out of the paddock and take her for a walk so she gets some sort of exercise, and she wasn't having it. She was pulling at the rope, pushing me out of the way, standing on my toes, etc. She has no manners, or respect for me. She is still very determined to get to her friends.

I'm not sure what to do. The woman who owns her is barely involved. I've texted her about the horse being herd bound and my attempts to fix it by putting her in another paddock and her opinion, but she just responds with "Sound gd". I'm at a loss at what to do. The owner just doesn't seem to care and I'm not experienced enough for this. I want to help this horse, but I really don't know what to do. If anyone had any suggestions, I would really appreciate it. Thanks for listing to me ramble.

TLDR: horse is acting up and I'm not experienced enough to deal with it on my own. Owner doesn't care.



Submitted June 19, 2019 at 07:28PM by nemonic1
via reddit https://www.reddit.com/r/Horses/comments/c2pnp7/need_help_with_lease_horse/?utm_source=ifttt

No comments :

Post a Comment