Wednesday, June 19, 2019

#horses - #1/2 ton 2WD truck (Ford F100) ok for tractoring a horse?


1/2 ton 2WD truck (Ford F100) ok for tractoring a horse?

Hey, I've been riding for 5 years, I have been renting a horse for the last 16 months but in 2 months when my lease on her is up his owner is moving to California and taking her. I am pretty torn up about it and never want to be in this situation again, so I think I am ready to buy my own horse.

I think it's really important that if you own a horse you need a truck to tractor it yourself, I have a 64 El Camino which while technically a truck can't really tow anything so I am selling it and looking for something a little more heavy duty. In my immediate area there are two trucks that I like for sale, one is a 1965 Ford F100 and the other is a 1971 Chevy C20, the Ford is in better physical shape, has a better engine, it has a stick shift which is better for hauling things and it's $2500 cheaper, they're both 2WD. If it isn't obvious I prefer the Ford lol but I think that I would be happy with either. The issue is that the F100 is a 1/2 truck and the C20 is a 3/4 ton truck, I know that 3/4t is fine for tractoring a single horse because half of my stable seems to own an F250, but idk about 1/2t?

Yes yes I know the issues and concerns with older trucks but classic cars are what I like and even though I am happy to switch out my El Camino for a real truck, I am not going to give up an iconic car that I really love and enjoy for a modern vehicle that I am not fond of ya know.

I'm not a big guy and I am not planning on getting a huge horse, 13-15 hands is ideal, a little smaller is also fine but I would look silly on a tiny pony and have trouble with a giant draught horse.

Thanks everyone



Submitted June 19, 2019 at 12:19PM by jonlikesfood
via reddit https://www.reddit.com/r/Horses/comments/c2klt6/12_ton_2wd_truck_ford_f100_ok_for_tractoring_a/?utm_source=ifttt

No comments :

Post a Comment