Thursday, November 16, 2017

#mylittlepony - #Can we talk about how wrong Rarity's flirting tactics are?


Can we talk about how wrong Rarity's flirting tactics are?

I don't know how to feel about this. Rarity is an objectively perfect god pony but I always felt that her flirting with other ponies was easily the worst aspect of her characterization and should be removed entierly. Thankfully its extremely rare to see in the series, but I don't like the way she flirts with others. Look at this scene from "Putting your Hoof Down." She is clearly taking advantage of that pony by leading him on to get what she wants, and then leaves without a second thought afterward. Then the episode treats it as if she was right in doing so and says Fluttershy should do the same. She obviously doesn't find him attractive (Because she likes fancy ponies like Prince Blueblood or Trenderhoof) but pretends like she is to get the asparagus. The guy was fine with the trade at the end but it was a pretty shit thing to do and she's done it other times in the series. I don't have too much of a problem with it because she doesn't have any actual bad intentions and the interactions are very short, but she knows what's she's doing to others. This is why I'm confused at her friendship with Spike. She absolutely isn't flirting with Spike because he's a child and her close friend, but even if by accident the way she tends to act would easily convince a child like him he has a chance in the first place. If Rarity understands how her actions can make someone like her, I don't understand why she can't see how Spike feels. This scene was just sad. Rarity is an adult, she should have said something by now. Its been 7 Seasons now and its holding both of their characters back. Is the situation with Spike an unrelated issue from her occasionally flirting with regular ponies? Maybe? I don't know at this point. If she never flirted with normal ponies I'd totally be willing to accept her never noticing Spike's crush but she does and so I'm confused. I think Rarity is wrong to lead people on like this even if it is briefly. Its a children's show and I feel uncomfortable with seeing her willingly flirt with others to get what she wants. I'm glad this part of her has been slowly dying off as the series progresses. And I don't mean just acting nice and being friendly, I mean actual flirtation tactics purely to get what she wants. She only does it because it works, not because it fits with her dream of high society at all. The only time it actually fit in an episode was when she was a detective. She's already capable of convincing others to get what she wants in other ways, but actually flirting with some of them is a line that shouldn't be crossed.


I really hope this thread doesn't turn out badly. I still like Rarity, I just dislike this small part of her. How do you feel about Rarity occasionally flirting with other ponies in the series? Should it remain part of her character? Are you indifferent because of how rare it is to see? How does Spike fit into all this? Does it fit her character as the element of generosity?



Submitted November 16, 2017 at 02:50PM by QABJAB
via reddit https://www.reddit.com/r/mylittlepony/comments/7dfu8d/can_we_talk_about_how_wrong_raritys_flirting/?utm_source=ifttt

No comments :

Post a Comment