Thursday, June 1, 2017

#mylittlepony - #Artists and respect.


Artists and respect.

TLDR: A group of friends and myself approached Aurelleah a while ago concerning a pattern of tracing without credit in his early works. Upon seeing another post of his recently I'm making this public as I have discovered that some people are supporting this practice unknowingly on his Patreon.


I saw this gif yesterday, and damn it's cute. It hit my front page, but I recognized it from elsewhere. After a bit of searching I discovered an almost identical animation by Thesassyjessie a couple of years earlier. At first I thought that maybe Aurelleah asked permission, but Thesassyjessie's DeviantArt, derpibooru, and Tumblr have been inactive for months to years. In search of appropriate credit, I found that this link from reddit brings me to Aurelleah's DeviantArt page still with no credit given. Then the deviant art page lists his patreon page. He mentions "Chandler/Azure serenity" as sponsors to the animation, but no mention of Jessie. On Aurelleah's Patreon it shows him making over $500 a month to produce art and music. How is tracing and not crediting another artist's work an ethical practice, especially in our small community.

I contacted Aurelleah a while ago concerning this issue, but his practices have not seemed to change since then. As such, I feel that it is my responsibility to make this fact known to his supporters on Patreon as they may not know the amount of originality in the works they are supporting. I'm not arguing that tracing or using samples is wrong. Personally, I did the same thing when I was starting out. However, being paid and commissioning traced work, especially without credit, is not an acceptable practice. Tracing is a tool to learn, not a means to create finished, sellable pieces of art.

All of that said, I want to stress that this is not an attack on Aurelleah, but rather intends to bring to light an issue that affects both him and, more importantly, his supporters.



Submitted June 01, 2017 at 02:20PM by Lacksum
via reddit http://ift.tt/2rKhMxC

No comments :

Post a Comment