Thursday, March 16, 2017

#mylittlepony - #Discussion: Is "A Canterlot Wedding" Secretly A Celestia Episode?


Discussion: Is "A Canterlot Wedding" Secretly A Celestia Episode?

While re-watching "A Canterlot Wedding" recently, I noticed something I'd missed before. If you recall, Season 2 focused on each of the Mane 6 learning their own friendship lessons, then sharing what they learned with Celestia. However, what I'd never noticed before is that "A Canterlot Wedding" flips the formula: that is, it's Celestia who learns and shares a friendship lesson with the M6 ("Learning to trust your instincts is a valuable lesson to learn").

My own IRL brony group has been clamoring for an episode focused on Celestia for a while now--but I'm starting to wonder if maybe it's been lurking under our noses the entire time. It's easy to read Celestia's statement as a bit of self-recrimination; that is, "I need to learn to trust my instincts and/or my friends more" (after all, Twilight, to whom the lesson is addressed, never really doubted her instincts--it was everyone else, including Celestia, who doubted her). Read in that light, Celestia's statement seems to indicate that she has (quietly) experienced a great deal of character growth in this episode, perhaps more so than anyone else (IIRC, nearly every other character appears to be fairly static outside of their reactions to the various plot twists [though, of course, it's entirely possible that I missed/forgot someone]).

Call me crazy, but I could even see a scenario where Celestia's experiences in "A Canterlot Wedding" spur the character arcs in Season 3: "I made a mistake, I need to trust more" could very easily lead into "I should trust Twilight, of all my friends I've ever had, with the gift of Princesshood."

So: what are your thoughts? And how do you think such a realization might affect how we understand Celestia/the show itself?



Submitted March 16, 2017 at 07:38AM by brokenimage321
via reddit http://ift.tt/2m5MvCR

No comments :

Post a Comment