Thursday, March 16, 2017

#horses - #Recently started riding, need some advice!


Recently started riding, need some advice!

Hi friends,

I've loved horses for the longest time. I live in a big city and riding is expensive so when I was little it was just playing horse games (Howrse, anyone?) and dreaming. I took a few lessons each year as a treat but I recently started a more intensive course and, it's so strange, but I feel like I love them a lot less now? I don't know if it's just a phase I grew out of (which I really hope it's not because I still want to love horses and riding). I think it's more because the way we're learning (group lessons with 5-8 students per class) is a little haphazard sometimes. It's more about learning to ride than learning about horses. So I know how to make a horse go or turn, but if it starts moving backwards or pulling at the reins, I really have no idea why.

Two weeks ago I had this massive, terrifying black horse that tripped and I thought I was going to fall off, and then he got annoyed with another horse being too close to him so started acting out a bit. I feel like I'm becoming a more nervous rider rather than just enjoying it. That being set, we were trotting for almost the entirety of my last lesson and it was a blast. I thought I was going to fall off a couple of times then too because I had a pretty fast horse (woo), and I think I realised that my nervousness is more from feeling like the horse will fall or act unpredictably than just me feeling like I'll fall off (so I'm not really afraid of hurting myself if that makes sense).

I guess my question is, are there any good resources on understanding horses for a beginner rider?



Submitted March 16, 2017 at 12:08PM by jenesaisquoi-x
via reddit http://ift.tt/2nwOJbh

No comments :

Post a Comment