Thursday, February 16, 2017

#horses - #What do you do if your horse threatens to bite or kick you?


What do you do if your horse threatens to bite or kick you?

I know there are tons of different philosophies from "hitting a horse at all is animal abuse and you shouldn't own a horse" to "punch it in the face if it bites you".

What's your rule? I don't have a horse currently, but I follow the rules at the first barn I rode at where I was for almost 10 years. Great owner, had lots of horses, almost everyone in the state that's into horses knows him and thinks he's an awesome person. First day of lessons I'm pretty sure it was, if a horse bites you, punch it in the nose, hard. The animal is 5-10 times your size, unless you're an MMA fighter and have warmed up for half an hour to fight the horse, you're not going to hurt it. That was the ONLY time it was OK to hit a horse ahead of the shoulder there, none of them were headshy.

If the horse kicked you or clearly attempted to, immediately walk over to its side and kick it with a flat foot in the abdomen. Flat foot because you could cause an injury if you jabbed it with a boot.

If I'm at another barn I do whatever the owner wants, but if I'm not allowed to even swat at a horse that's trying to hurt me, I'm probably not staying at the barn.

What about you?

Keep it civil, we're not going to get into any arguments about why your method is correct or someone else is wrong. We're all adults here. Civilized discussion/debate is perfectly fine/actually desirable



Submitted February 16, 2017 at 01:20PM by naphthoylindole
via reddit http://ift.tt/2kD61B0

No comments :

Post a Comment