Thursday, February 16, 2017

#horses - #Am I Being Swindled?


Am I Being Swindled?

Hey, I've had many horses my entire life, but I've always had them on acreage (over 20 acres open pasture) in a herd setting, always fed alfalfa and only grained the occasional old horse, very hard keeper, or rescue. We didn't even feed in the summer because there was enough grass and it had a great mineral content.

Anyway, I board my gelding now and it's gone from self care/self purchasing of feed at my last barn to they feed/I buy feed at the current barn, and now they buy feed/ they feed it at the current barn. When I was buying the feed I bought 8 (40lb) bales good quality grass hay every 3 weeks, and 3 bags of good quality grain a month. My horse was in nice condition in that.

Now that the owners have started buying the feed and feeding it my feed bill has gone up significantly. I was paying $114 for my total feed bill. Now I'm paying $260. The hay quality is not as good and they feed round bales, which I think should be cheaper but my hay bill doubled. They say the 2 horses in the paddock go through 1 whole round bale a week. I've had a round bale once before years ago and it lasted my two horses 1 month. The grain I'm paying for 6 bags per month, which seems like too many too me.

My horse is an easy keeper, a little on the fat side but not obese, and he is basically not worked. I'm only able to ride maybe 1 or 2 times per month, and those are just easy 40 minute trail rides. I can't believe my horse is eating that much food.

I have a feeling that the other boarder in my paddock is not having to pay for hay (that I'm paying the total round bale cost for the paddock) or that they're saying to us both that the horses are going though more than they are. And that perhaps my grain is being used for other horses as well.

I have no proof other than the rising costs and the past that things don't seem to add up. The barn owner is very nice and I like her a lot, but I'm just a little bit confused. What do you think? Thanks!

Tldr: my feed cost is rising without reason. The barn owners are saying my horse is going through more feed than I think is possible, and I have no way of knowing. My feed bill went up $147 when they started buying the feed (basically same grain but round bales of lower quality grass hay instead of the small bales I was buying). I think they might be taking advantage of me. They are very nice but I'm worried. They say he eats per month:

Two full big round bales hay 6 bags high quality grain

He's a 13 years old, 16.2hh, very easy keeper, big boned, and a little overweight but not bad. Basically not ridden or worked. Almost a pasture pet.

Am I wrong in wondering why my feed bill went up so much once they started buying and feeding? Total I'm now paying the price of a full care barn with nicer facilities, and is chosen this place because it's less expensive, so just wondering. Thanks!



Submitted February 16, 2017 at 10:12AM by GoldenZornado
via reddit http://ift.tt/2lXG944

No comments :

Post a Comment