Thursday, July 18, 2019

#horses - #There are several barns within a mile of me that have confirmed cases of vesicular stomatitis virus (VSV) Has anyone gone through this before?


There are several barns within a mile of me that have confirmed cases of vesicular stomatitis virus (VSV) Has anyone gone through this before?

It was just 2 weeks ago that I heard VSV was confirmed in our state, then several counties over, then our county and now it's literally on our street. The barn where I keep my mare is a private barn with only 7 horses but there are several larger boarding and training facilities neighboring us.

Monday morning there was a confirmed case of VSV about 3 miles away and that was terrifying. Monday night, a neighboring barn is under quarantine because they apparently have seven confirmed cases, and yesterday more and more of the people on our street are all having confirmed outbreaks.

We are quite literally in the thick of it. Everyone at my barn is being very proactive about fly control so that's helpful but I still feel completely helpless. We've set up fly traps, and the barn owner is spraying the property. All of the horses are wearing fly mask 24/7 and all of the boarders are all flyspraying each other's horse every time we're out and we're all picking up manure 3 times a day. We're all also keeping a very close eye on the horses to make sure they're not showing symptoms.

It's just scary because even though we don't have VSV at our barn, there are several neighbors with horses that do that are really really close... like less than a football field away.

Has anyone gone through this? Or does anyone have advice? I know there's been outbreaks before but this is just my first time being in the middle of one.



Submitted July 18, 2019 at 05:23AM by equkelly
via reddit https://www.reddit.com/r/Horses/comments/cer7q6/there_are_several_barns_within_a_mile_of_me_that/?utm_source=ifttt

No comments :

Post a Comment