Monday, June 25, 2018

#horses - #Need help with horses lead changes please!!!


Need help with horses lead changes please!!!

Hi all,

I have a 16hh OTTB that I've been showing very successfully with in jumpers. We will occasionally show in hunter divisions, but we usually don't place very high because he does not have his flying changes. I usually try to land on the correct lead but it doesn't always happen. My horse is very well maintained and in good shape including his hocks so I don't think it's necessarily a mechanical deficiency on his part. I think he just doesn't know how and I'm not communicating effectively what I want him to do.

He supples nicely and I can get him to move away from my leg. He is also engaged on the hind end.

I will try to set him up coming off a diagonal. I canter into the corner moving him away from the inside leg while keeping him straight and when I ask for the change, I open the inside rein and bump him with my outside leg making sure not to lean in with my weight to the inside.

He will change the lead in front from this but not in the back. I've tapped him behind the girth a few times with a crop but it's gotten to the point where he is running out in anticipation.

Does anyone have any words of wisdom or advice for me? I'm so frustrated with this because he's a great horse and I know he can do it. We have gotten them successfully here and there but I want to have the skill down solid.

Any advice or exercises I can do to help I would totally appreciate! Someone please help us out!



Submitted June 25, 2018 at 05:34PM by TakeMeDrunkImHomee
via reddit https://www.reddit.com/r/Horses/comments/8tv95a/need_help_with_horses_lead_changes_please/?utm_source=ifttt

No comments :

Post a Comment