Monday, June 25, 2018

#horses - #Building confidence upon returning to riding?


Building confidence upon returning to riding?

I took riding lessons on full sized horses when I was little - about 5-7 years old. I also volunteered around the barn and worked around horses in a research setting during my time in college. Now that I've graduated, I've returned to lessons. My problem is this: now that I'm an adult, I'm fully cognizant in the danger involved here. I know a horse can easily overpower me and I've dodged a few horses who bolted in a paddock for one reason or another. I know that most horses wouldn't deliberately hurt me, but their size in combination with their nature as prey animals makes me nervous.

Today I had my first lesson on a sweet old gelding who was pretty short (and therefore low to the ground), and I felt like I was going to lose my balance while leaning forward as I tried to post (and then 2-point, because I don't have the leg strength to really post yet). It's worth noting that I have a higher center of gravity than most, as I stand at just over 5'9".

Being around horses as a big part of my life has been my dream since I was a toddler, and I love them and don't always feel nervous around them on the ground - it's mostly just when I'm around two or more horses that are close together, because I don't want to get caught in the middle of a squabble.

Any advice on building confidence/getting back into the swing of things or encouragement would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!



Submitted June 25, 2018 at 05:29PM by cestmarat
via reddit https://www.reddit.com/r/Horses/comments/8tv7wa/building_confidence_upon_returning_to_riding/?utm_source=ifttt

No comments :

Post a Comment