Thursday, May 30, 2019

#horses - #Opossums on Horse Hay. Save to eat or should it be destroyed?


Opossums on Horse Hay. Save to eat or should it be destroyed?

I've discovered that at least one opossum has been coming into my barn through the cat entrance to eat their food. I've walked in on it a few times. Hopefully the opossum will be removed this weekend. Now my concern is the cat food dish is kept on top of a small stack of 6 hay bales. And that opossums' fecal matter can cause Equine Protozoal Myeloencephalitis (EPM).

I don't see any poop on the 3 top hay bales but I have scooped a couple of spots off the floor. Is there anyway to be absolutely sure? Although I know to be safest would be to throw them out, probably burn, or maybe see if someone wants them for cows. But should I also be concerned about the 3 bales on the bottom? I just hate throwing things away. Even with the alternative being that risk. And at the end of the day, it'll cost $10-15 to replace them and I haven't even needed to feed hay since the spring grass has come in.



Submitted May 30, 2019 at 09:32AM by FireflyRave
via reddit https://www.reddit.com/r/Horses/comments/buukok/opossums_on_horse_hay_save_to_eat_or_should_it_be/?utm_source=ifttt

No comments :

Post a Comment