Monday, February 18, 2019

#horses - #Help! First horse questions!


Help! First horse questions!

So I recently made the purchase of a lifetime in October & got my very first horse. He is a 5yr old (almost 6) fjord/quarter cross. He doesn't have many miles under his belt & is a bit green, but before I get yelled at let me say that he was the once in a lifetime horse. I have always been told by my trainers that I'll never be able to do hunter/jumper on a fjord... and that was exactly him! I've also been working with horses since I was a child and have leased out 3 horses before this.

Now, time for the actual questions.

I'm boarding him at a local show barn because they have some of the "best" trainers in the area. For starters, this barn doesn't turn out fall winter or spring because "they get enough exercise when they're ridden" which I'm really not a fan of... but they do have run ins which I guess is better than nothing. Now, I've worked with many green horses, but I've never trained one. He seems to dislike being ridden (backs up when I approach him with tack) and bolts a lot while we're riding. I ride him 3 days of the week and the trainer rides him 3 days a week, and a few of the times I've gone in to ride him he has had scabs on the sides of his mouth and just recently had a bad case of diarrhea. Whenever he bolts while we're riding or takes too long to transition, my trainers yell at me to "pull harder!" And "if he does that again rip his f***ing head off!" (They're obviously a little aggressive) He is also being trained to transition by pulling back on the reins while asking him to canter. Is this what training a green horse is supposed to be like? I understand there is a line between being his parent and being his friend, but I can't help but feel it's being crossed.

If I left anything out please let me know and I'll try to fill you in.



Submitted February 18, 2019 at 08:27PM by three-gold-fish
via reddit https://www.reddit.com/r/Horses/comments/as5uwu/help_first_horse_questions/?utm_source=ifttt

No comments :

Post a Comment