Monday, October 15, 2018

#horses - #Any good resources for whether or not my horse in light/moderate work will need grain?


Any good resources for whether or not my horse in light/moderate work will need grain?

I'm moving my horse from a friend's place to my lesson barn next week, and am trying to decide on a feeding program. She's a 10 year old QH, has always been a fairly easy keeper.

For the past few years, she's gotten one scoop of Sentinel feed per day as well as free choice hay and pasture. From what I've been reading, many horses do not actually need grain, it's just something owners feed because they feel like that's what they're "supposed" to do.

For a horse who will be starting in light work 1-2 days per week, going back to basics after a couple years of not being ridden due to me living out of state, would she likely be fine with field board and free choice hay? What about in a couple months if/when she starts with light jumping? Does anyone have any good resources that help owners determine an appropriate feed program?

I appreciate any input anyone has to offer. I'm happy to grain her if it's something she truly needs, but I'd prefer not to pay more and make extra work for staff if grain would just be something extra. If I determine that she doesn't need it, I will of course slowly change her diet to help her adjust. There's a lot of opinions out there and I want to make an informed decision.



Submitted October 15, 2018 at 06:16PM by Ajholt1113
via reddit https://www.reddit.com/r/Horses/comments/9oifns/any_good_resources_for_whether_or_not_my_horse_in/?utm_source=ifttt

No comments :

Post a Comment