Thursday, September 13, 2018

#horses - #Recurring Thrush and Bad Frogs


Recurring Thrush and Bad Frogs

I need some advice. No matter what I do, my horse keeps getting thrush and his frogs are torn up. He has a stall that gets cleaned once a day and is turned out in a pen with dry sand. His feet get picked almost every day.

The problem started last year when I was having trouble reaching my farrier and he ended up going 13 weeks between trims. When the farrier did see him, his frogs were pretty torn up and he had thrush. The farrier didn't know if the frog damage or the thrush came first. I applied thrush buster religiously and it seemed to clear up, but his frogs continue to be in rough shape.

My horse now gets his feet trimmed every 6 weeks and the state of his frogs is not getting better. On average the thrush comes back every other month. The farrier says we are doing all that can be done, but I'm not sure I trust him. It just seems unlikely that there is nothing that can be done. I have looked into other farriers and will continue to do so, but I have had a lot of trouble getting anyone to call me back.

I appreciate any insight you can offer.

Edited because my writing style drives me crazy



Submitted September 13, 2018 at 03:17PM by mingmob
via reddit https://www.reddit.com/r/Horses/comments/9flydi/recurring_thrush_and_bad_frogs/?utm_source=ifttt

No comments :

Post a Comment