Thursday, September 13, 2018

#horses - #My tips thus far for spectators going to WEG


My tips thus far for spectators going to WEG

Hi horse friends from all over the world headed to WEG! I got into town on Tuesday afternoon to attend the opening ceremonies and I'm on day two of dressage. I found it impossible to find info ahead of time so I thought I'd share my thoughts so maybe I can help others.

  1. Parking was my #1 concern going in. I paid to park on private property and it was 100% the way to go. Ignore signs for WEG and get off at exit 170. Go just a hair north and look for people with signs at the corner of Abrams Moore Rd. They're charging a hair more than official parking but they'll give you a multi day deal. They're shuttling people in a golf cart and cars or you can take the official shuttle to/from lot E with no special credentials required. No walking across the state highway to the venue allowed. I've heard official shuttle wait times can be up to an hour from the fairgrounds.

  2. All the stupid rules. They went way overboard with restrictions but they're not enforcing like crazy. Go ahead and bring a not clear bag or a bit more food but don't be an asshole and go overboard because that'll slow down security.

  3. Water. They suck about having water available. I've only heard of a few water fountains in existence and only one is cool water. It's in the main clock tower building. If you're facing the building Legends Grille is on the left and Blue Ginger Sushi is on the right. Go around the right side of the building behind the sushi restaurant and there will be an entrance with water fountains.

  4. Bonus while you're using the water fountain you're also at the least crowded permanent bathroom that I've found. Plenty of porta-potties around but I like to wash my hands.

  5. Beer and wine it's wicked expensive at official concession booths but the general store sells beer and wine at normal convenience store process.

  6. Food. The general store also had reasonably priced food. Not great prices or selection but on par with a convenience store. There are a ton of food trucks toward the back of the vendor village. Lunch will cost you $12-22 but it's mostly legit good food trucks.

  7. Print your tickets if you can. I didn't bother printing my tickets because, hey I always have my phone on me, right?! The QR codes scan better from a print out than phones so that's delayed me a few times. Also, it's way easier to get in with coffee in one hand and nachos in the other if you have your ticket printed and in a clear lanyard. Juggling coffee, nachos, and phone is not easy.

  8. Bring a poncho - they're not selling any on site. Plenty of nice rain coat for purchase but no just in case of emergency ponchos.

  9. Chillfuck out and enjoy the competition. I can understand being an angry endurance fan but the dressage competition has been stellar. Is there some mud and confusion and chaos, yes but damnit you're here for the horses so calm down about the other shit and enjoy the show!



Submitted September 13, 2018 at 01:35PM by jujubeee
via reddit https://www.reddit.com/r/Horses/comments/9fl3nb/my_tips_thus_far_for_spectators_going_to_weg/?utm_source=ifttt

No comments :

Post a Comment