Friday, September 14, 2018

#horses - #In or out: hurricane edition


In or out: hurricane edition

For the first time in my life as well as my horses lives, we are being faced with decisions we have no expertise in. Long story short: I need some advice from coastal horse owners about what they do with their horses during big storms. We aren't in the heart of hurricane Florence, but we will be getting a lot of heavy storms from it, so there's no need for evacuating. I've talked with my trainer who says she will be putting her horses in her barn (which is okay because she has a fairly large barn), but that it is up to me wether I decide to put mine in or leave mine out. We have a smaller barn but it's built well and has drainage systems. I've read many things and people say their biggest concerns would be lightning, but my horses aren't normally stalled— yet again, we don't get many storms where we live so I don't want them to freak out about being inside during a storm.

Side note: we do have a run-in shed for them in the field but it's not fit for all 3 horses and it's at the bottom of a hill and will most definitely be the first place to flood.

I wanted to hear from other horse owners to see what would be the best option to keep my horses not only safe but comfortable until the storm passes. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.



Submitted September 14, 2018 at 03:44PM by UnspecializedTee
via reddit https://www.reddit.com/r/Horses/comments/9fw4ya/in_or_out_hurricane_edition/?utm_source=ifttt

No comments :

Post a Comment