Friday, September 21, 2018

#horses - #Conditioning a 2.5yr filly


Conditioning a 2.5yr filly

I need advice on conditioning a filly for starting under saddle. She is turned out in probably a 40x40 (I don't have a ton of space) and I'd like to get her conditioned for riding this January or whenever she is ready. I'm not in a rush about it. She is a breedstock cremello paint horse so you can imagine that she has no bone and is a little crazy. I can deal with the crazy part, but how would you guys approach conditioning on something like this? I just want to give her the best chance at being as sound as possible for as long as I can considering her confirmation and breed and I know that no matter what she'll have lameness issues by 12 or 15 years due to bad breeding (not by me). Any advice on this would be awesome! She will NOT be a competing horse in any way, shape, or form. Easy walk, trot, canter trail rides.

Side note: I've trained and started horses in the past, but they were put together well. I'm not looking for starting tips, just the groundwork stuff that you guys know has worked for you. Thanks!!

Edited for clarity on what she will be trained to do in the future.



Submitted September 21, 2018 at 02:58AM by PrimoDonna93
via reddit https://www.reddit.com/r/Horses/comments/9hno6e/conditioning_a_25yr_filly/?utm_source=ifttt

No comments :

Post a Comment