Wednesday, September 12, 2018

#horses - #Anyone have anti-allergy supplements or ointments to recommend?


Anyone have anti-allergy supplements or ointments to recommend?

We (mostly) retired my 20 y.o. Oldenburg about a year ago. This past May we moved him to a larger paddock at the same facility he's been at since his retirement, and he developed some sort of skin issue that the vet thinks is an allergy. At some point someone who had this paddock previously must have put down ground up asphalt because he gets covered in this strange, black dust that's hard to get off (AND stains my clothes with gray smudges). My vet thinks that tarry dust is likely the cause of his reaction, and we've been giving him hydroxyzine to try to manage it. I'm working on getting the facility to scrape out all of the footing, but in the meantime, I've been hoping someone might have a recommendation of other supplements, etc. that I could give him. The hydroxyzine helps, but it doesn't clear it up 100%.

For more context... I bathe him about once a week with Micro Tek shampoo to soothe him and clear out the (asphalt?) dust that builds up on his skin. I have tried the Micro Tek topical gel, but it made his skin chap around his sheath (where he gets the itchiest) and bleed a little. I do use the Micro Tek spray from time to time, but I just go through it too quickly and don't see a major impact enough to justify the expense. I've also tried the MTG oil, but we found out he's allergic to the sulphur product in that, so his skin just got worse.

He ALSO has a cough, which is noticeable but not debilitating when I get him out for a light hack, and I suspect that could be a similar allergic thing going on.

Anyone have any bright ideas? :)



Submitted September 12, 2018 at 05:24PM by jennyyyy220
via reddit https://www.reddit.com/r/Horses/comments/9fctrj/anyone_have_antiallergy_supplements_or_ointments/?utm_source=ifttt

No comments :

Post a Comment