Wednesday, August 8, 2018

#horses - #I think I actually can’t ride


I think I actually can't ride

Today I had a very humiliating experience.

I am looking for a weekly hack (purely for enjoyment). I started riding when I was 11, had my own horses (one was greenbacked when I got him, and we went on to jump 1m), stopped to study and have children, etc (always taking hacks whenever I could).

Today, after being out of the saddle for longer than a year, I went to meet a pony as a potential hack. All went well until I got on. I had hardly sat down when she started walking. Lightly pulling the reins didn't stop her, so I pulled harder. The third pull worked. Did some adjustments to the saddle and my stirrups, then asked her to walk. I could for the life of me not keep her walking along the edge of the arena. She kept on drifting to the middle. I would ask her to go back with the reins and inside leg, and she would just turn her head and go where she wanted to.

Long story short, I got off after less than 10 minutes after agreeing with her owner that we weren't going to work together.

So now I'm left wondering if I'm actually a terrible rider, or if we were just plain incompatible. Her owner told me she can ride her bareback with a halter, and I have no doubt she can. Apparently the pony is very well trained.

I've never struggled like this morning, and it's shaken my confidence to the core.



Submitted August 08, 2018 at 01:36AM by MereMalarkey
via reddit https://www.reddit.com/r/Horses/comments/95jyux/i_think_i_actually_cant_ride/?utm_source=ifttt

No comments :

Post a Comment