Thursday, May 24, 2018

#mylittlepony - #Do you think Pinkie Pie's personality has been degrading in recent seasons?


Do you think Pinkie Pie's personality has been degrading in recent seasons?

When I first started watching the show, I didn't care for Pinkie Pie much. For the first 4 episodes of the first season, I saw her as a crazy party pony who was more irritating than helpful and had no personality depth. However, this all changed in episode 5, "Griffon the Brush-Off". During one scene Rainbow Dash was about to pull a prank on Fluttershy, but Pinkie Pie told her not to prank Fluttershy because she was too sensitive. At that moment my liking of Pinkie Pie went way up.

That scene showed how even though Pinkie Pie seems a bit crazy and over the top, she is actually very thoughtful and deeply cares about everypony. The writers did a pretty good job at carrying on her personality. This was especially obvious in "A Friend in Deed", when she tried to make Cranky Doodle Donkey happy. For most of the episode, she failed to do that and ruined everything. But at the end we see that the entire time she was just trying to make him happy because she cares about his happiness. Even though from the outside it seemed that she was only making things worse, on the inside she was doing everything she could to lift his spirits - and in the end she succeeded. This for the most part, is why she remained one of my favorite ponies throughout much of the show. The writers did a very good job at keeping her character deep. That is - until recently.

During the beginning of season 6, I noticed Pinkie Pie started to get irritating. I couldn't really place my finger on what it was, and whether something was changing about the way she was written, or if I was just imagining it. But "Rock Solid Friendship" confirmed what I had feared. During the whole episode, I found her extremely irritating. I know that she has always been the most hyper of the main characters, but this was over the top. She was constantly yelling through the entire episode. She even started making up stupid excuses for Maud to move to Ponyville. "Is that a rock shaped like Lyra Heartstrings?!?!" This was over the top even for Pinkie. I know she was desperate for her sister to stay in Ponyville, but this behavior just wasn't like her at all. If she actually cared for Maud's happiness, she should have been a little pushy at first - but then stepped back and let her choose for herself. If Maud wasn't going to be happy in Ponyville, Pinkie shouldn't try to force her to move there if she truly cares about making her sister happy. Other episodes in the latest two seasons seem to reflect this too. I distinctly remember finding her yelling annoying in "All Bottled Up". Even in "The Maud Couple" she seemed to be out of character, although that wasn't as bad.

In more recent seasons, it seems that the writers have moved away from the Pinkie Pie who only wants to make everypony happy. They have begun to use her as a bit more of a gag, using all her crazy, over the top shenanigans as a humor element. As a consequence, this has removed the deep personality she had for the first 5 seasons, and made her character more "shallow". I know all of the characters have changed a lot from the start of the show, but it seems that Pinkie's change has had the most impact on her character.

But this is just my opinion, and despite the lack of depth I've been seeing recently, she is still funny and I still enjoy Pinkie centered episodes. Maybe I am overlooking something and I'm actually totally wrong. Your thoughts?

TL;DR - In seasons 1-5 Pinkie was very thoughtful and cared about everypony. But in recent seasons it seems that she has become more annoying and has a more shallow personality.



Submitted May 24, 2018 at 08:55PM by Pro-Flyer
via reddit https://www.reddit.com/r/mylittlepony/comments/8lyhn1/do_you_think_pinkie_pies_personality_has_been/?utm_source=ifttt

No comments :

Post a Comment