Thursday, May 24, 2018

#horses - #Barn sour horse! Help!


Barn sour horse! Help!

I'm helping out my friend by exercising her horses and taking care of them when I can. She's VERY Western in that the whole barn is covered in dust and she jumps on then bareback and goes about. But she doesn't ride consistently. And the horses havent been actually worked in who knows how long.

Thomas, the beautiful paint, is so barn sour I actually am angry when I finally get off him. We went down this tiny road next to the barn and immediate fixation on getting back. The other day we were about 20ft away from the other horses, in a paddock connected to the barn, and he wanted nothing more than to run back inside. So we rode out a little, attempting to get him to just walk in a straight line. And I took A LOT of time just getting him to stand there and be calm. Every time he tried to trot or throw his head or be an idiot, we did circles and then stood again. But I'm getting so incredibly frustrated I don't even know if it's worth it to continue to try with him since im only there a couple days a week.

Any advice would be great! I'm about ready to put my head through a wall with him!



Submitted May 24, 2018 at 08:40AM by capturinglight12
via reddit https://www.reddit.com/r/Horses/comments/8lt5d5/barn_sour_horse_help/?utm_source=ifttt

No comments :

Post a Comment