Friday, April 27, 2018

#horses - #Seeking Advice - Horse Has Developed a Stilted/4-Beat Canter to the Left


Seeking Advice - Horse Has Developed a Stilted/4-Beat Canter to the Left

My horse is a 24 year old ex-eventer/show jumper. Up until very recently he's been in full training, doing primarily flat work for the last year. I moved him to a new barn in March to step down his work a bit, but it rained almost the entire month and the barn doesn't have an indoor. As a result, he basically just got lunged/handwalked for four weeks. When I brought him back he definitely felt stiffer than normal, so my vet suggested putting him on Equioxx. He also gets monthly Legend injections and wears a BoT sheet. The Equioxx seemed to help a little bit, but there's been no major change.

My primary concern is that he's developed this very stilted (almost 4-beat) canter. It's mostly when traveling to the left, but this morning I noticed it to a lesser degree on the right as well. It feels like he's about to break into the trot the entire time. Some days are worse/better than others. He feels totally fine at the trot - stepping evenly, willing to move forward, goes on the bit, etc. I'm not exactly sure what the issue is, or even if it's weakness/stiffness vs. pain, but he does have diagnosed arthritis in his hocks and hasn't had them injected in a while (I believe they've fused at this point). I'm wondering if it could also be his back/sacroiliac area.

For context, my horse is not competing or doing super intense work. He gets ridden ~5 times/week for about 45 minutes doing lower lever dressage, and on his days off he gets a handwalk or a trail ride. My plan is to retire him in the late summer/fall once I find a suitable facility (unfortunately this takes lots of due diligence & weekend trips to visit farms in remote areas). I absolutely want him to be comfortable, and I think he likes being in work, but given the situation I probably would probably choose to retire him a little early vs. spending thousands on long-term treatments.

My current game plan (based on consultation w/ the barn manager) is this: Call the chiro out to do an adjustment and see if that makes him feel better. If not, call the vet to get a diagnosis. In the meantime, unless the chiro/vet/trainer tell me otherwise, keep him in light work (mostly at walk & trot) so that he doesn't get more stiff.

Does anyone have experience with a similar issue? Any recommendations? Should I go straight to the vet vs. calling the chiro out first?

Thank you for your help!



Submitted April 27, 2018 at 11:42AM by Mustang_Gold
via reddit https://www.reddit.com/r/Horses/comments/8fdjt3/seeking_advice_horse_has_developed_a_stilted4beat/?utm_source=ifttt

No comments :

Post a Comment