Friday, April 27, 2018

#horses - #It was going so well...


It was going so well...

Apologies for the long post, but I need some advice...

I'm an adult learner and have been riding for about a year. I take lessons and practice at a yard, and I've been on a couple of treks too. I bought my horse Storm, a Clydie TB cross, from my trainer about 10 months ago and I've been having lessons on him. He's always been quite good with me, but he does spook sometimes. When I was first learning he'd stop if he thought I was unbalanced at all. And his shy wasn't too bad, just a couple of steps sideways.

But recently things have got worse. About a month or so ago I was at pony club and he started to trot without me asking, I did a half halt and he bucked me off. It was a pretty controlled fall so I was ok but a bit freaked out. After some investigation it turned out that the tree on my saddle was broken so it had been hurting him. I got the horse chiro to treat him and got a saddle fitter in to get a properly fitting saddle. Things were looking up, and I didn't blame him for bucking me off, the poor guy was in pain and I was causing it.

I started practicing using a better fitting saddle and things seemed to improve. Then on Tuesday I had another lesson in the arena where I had my fall. It was going really well, and then it wasn't. He spooked big time then freaked out and rushed at the fence, then slipped on the rubber chips. I ended up on the ground, winded with a concussion. Not the worst that could have happened by a long shot I know, but now I've completely lost my confidence with him. He doesn't do this kind of thing with my trainer, so I think he just doesn't trust me.

I really don't know what to do though. Should I sell him and find another horse? The idea breaks my heart because I really do love the big idiot. Or should I try and work through it with a trainer? Any advice would be much appreciated!



Submitted April 27, 2018 at 03:07AM by adelinesalkeld
via reddit https://www.reddit.com/r/Horses/comments/8fa8ve/it_was_going_so_well/?utm_source=ifttt

No comments :

Post a Comment