Friday, August 4, 2017

#horses - #How to find a barn as an adult?


How to find a barn as an adult?

I need some help getting back into riding, as I'm not sure how to find what I an looking for.

Background: I have 13 years of experience, but none for 5 years. I have ridden hunt seat, but mostly western pleasure with a bit of barrels. I have spent 3 summers teaching basic skills to girl scouts, and exploring trails. I last half leased a horse for trail riding 5 years ago. It was awesome.

Now: I am interested in casual riding, and probably getting into endurance. I would like to lease or own in the next year or two. I am very interested in getting a mustang, either from the extreme mustang makeover or the TIP program.

Problem: most of the barns around me are very competitive, which I have no interest in. I know I could just take lessons to get back into form and used to being around horses again, but I don't see them as a long term solution. I am just as interested in getting back into mucking stalls and general maintenance as I am into riding. Does it make sense to look more for a half lease, or advertise that I'm looking for a half lease for casual riding and trails? My other thought was contacting the local endurance chapter and seeing if anyone was looking for general barn help and teaching someone the basics for endurance racing.

Any advice? I'm in the eastern Hartford area of CT if any one has any leads as well.

Thanks.



Submitted August 04, 2017 at 07:50AM by stridersriddle
via reddit http://ift.tt/2wdZ9RO

No comments :

Post a Comment