Wednesday, July 12, 2017

#horses - #Please help: an absolute novice needs advice on how to calm a horse


Please help: an absolute novice needs advice on how to calm a horse

I know nothing about horses and I happen to be horse sitting for the next couple weeks. I will be honest and say I have a slight anxiety around horses...they are big creatures, however I have watched this particular horse a few times before and have begun to feel pretty comfortable around her...she's a sweet old lady.

However, today I went out to her pasture to feed her and she kind of charged at me. This has never happened before so, I was pretty scared. I tried to reach out and pet her like my usual greeting but she just seemed really excited and was running around and kicking uncomfortably close to me. The rest is honestly kind of a blur because I had so much adrenaline I honestly forget exactly how I reacted. Basically...I was trying to talk calmly at first and reassure her and then I tried backing up until I was basically stuck between her and the fence, pretty much petrified. I eventually got an opportunity to run into her barn and as soon as I put her grain in her feeder she was fine and eating and I was able to leave.

I was wearing a long, flowy black maxi dress for the first time around her, when I usually wear something like shorts and a t-shirt, so I don't know if the fact that I looked unfamiliar made her feel slightly spooked. Or I don't know if she was just running at me because she was excited to be fed and my nervous energy made her act up? I'm not sure exactly what caused it, but I would love to know how to react if this happens again-after all I do have to horse sit for a few more weeks and I would love to not be kicked!

Any advice, videos, or other resources would be greatly appreciated, thanks!



Submitted July 12, 2017 at 10:22PM by hanananenome
via reddit http://ift.tt/2tLkfHV

No comments :

Post a Comment