Sunday, May 7, 2017

#horses - #Racing circuit folks: what do you expect in a local rental property?


Racing circuit folks: what do you expect in a local rental property?

DISCLAIMER: The only thing I know about horses is that you don't walk behind them.

I own a few acres within 5 miles of HITS Ocala Winter Circuit. I'm interested in outfitting this property to cater to out-of-towners. If I'm reading the land development code correctly, I can fence off an acre or more, which should be enough to legally accommodate four horses.

I spent a year and a half living and working on this property, but it still needs some TLC (new well. ugh.) before I would feel comfortable renting it. I am not wealthy, so this is going to be piecemeal. I imagine taking it though a few stages:

  • Year 1 - Fenced acre (No Climb 48"), single stall, RV hookups (maybe internet?)
  • Year 3 - Above plus four-stall barn
  • Year 5 - Above plus mobile home
  • Year 6 - Above plus additional fenced 1/2 or whole acre
  • Year 10 - Above plus larger home

Am I leaving anything out that would be obvious to y'all? Maybe a tack room? I've thought about plumbing the stall, growing hay on the same parcel, a small laundry shed, maybe loaner tools? What if I paid my neighbor to muck the stalls?

And finally, what are reasonable rates to charge for these amenities? I'm aware of the--screw it, not beating around the bush here: the sort of folks who drive/fly horses interstate for three moths of racing are simply in a different income bracket than I am and I have no idea what they would find reasonable. I just know being 5 miles from HITS is very attractive. I'm not looking to beat anyone up on price, I just want to recoup my investment ASAP.



Submitted May 07, 2017 at 11:38AM by diddatweet
via reddit http://ift.tt/2pQvvAN

No comments :

Post a Comment