Sunday, May 7, 2017

#horses - #Bad fall on road, need some advice


Bad fall on road, need some advice

Long story short, my dude got spooked the other day during a canter along the side of the road and saw his ass on the tarmac. He slammed down on his left side (while I was still on him) and got up maybe five seconds later.

He's missing a few small patches of hair/skin which I'm treating with Filta-Bac and charcoal wound dressing, but I'm not so concerned about the cosmetic stuff. I read up on pelvic fractures and now I'm really worried. I had my (far more experienced) neighbour look at him straight away and she said he'd be a little stiff for a few days and possibly swell in his hock area but it looked like he was fine otherwise. Still, I'm giving him the next week (or however long is needed) off before I start doing some very light work to see how he is.

He's eating and drinking as usual, was a bit quiet at first (probably due to the shock) but is neighing like a bloody banshee like normal again a day later. He walks relatively okay, a bit stiff and definitely still sore, and he tried to trot towards his buddies on the other side of the fence earlier and gave up after less than a stride.

Should I just give him the rest of winter off to be safe, with a bit of lunging/groundwork, or is that overkill? Vet? What are some signs that he's stuffed his hip/pelvis/shoulder up other than the obvious "he's sore there"? If he has fractured something, how long will it take to heal and is it likely to permanently stop him from jumping/any harder work? He's only 15, but he's a big, fragile TB with skin about as thick as paper.

I feel awful that I wasn't able to catch him up in time and I'm so terrified of ruining him in any way that I haven't been able to sleep since it happened.



Submitted May 07, 2017 at 04:07AM by tamidala
via reddit http://ift.tt/2pTeiH8

No comments :

Post a Comment