Tuesday, May 2, 2017

#horses - #Hoof care while shod with frog supports and packing


Hoof care while shod with frog supports and packing

The farrier for the mare I lease suggested frog supports and packing for a few cycles. She's​ a great farrier and the owner and I respect her opinion on any changes. The pad covers the whole bottom of the hoof but there's a small gap around the frog where water and stuff can get under the pad. It's mud season in Vermont so no doubt there's some icky moisture and dirt up in there. I asked the owner if the farrier mentioned anything about special cleaning but she hadn't said anything. We're waiting to hear back and in the meantime I thought I'd ask my Reddit horsie friends. Should I try to spray water in the gaps to get mud out or rinse with saline or just leave it alone? This is the closest to owning a horse I've been so I still have so much to learn!

Pads look like this http://ift.tt/2qwa7PN

Edit: I know it would be better if it was dry under the pad but I guess I'm asking if it would be better to try and get the bad moisture out so at least it's clean-ish moisture.



Submitted May 02, 2017 at 04:39PM by jujubeee
via reddit http://ift.tt/2pueKuX

No comments :

Post a Comment