Tuesday, May 2, 2017

#horses - #Desperate for some Trailer Input


Desperate for some Trailer Input

I've spent more time looking at horse trailers than I did finding my horse, but I'm desperate for some input!

So here is my situation. We are military and are coming up on a move to a new base about 16 hours away and I need to transport my boy. I have three options:

  1. Pay a transport company to move him
  2. Find a trailer that can be pulled with our current tow vehicle.
  3. Invest in a truck and trailer for transporting him/future hauling

The area we are moving to is prone to natural disasters so I want a trailer for emergency use

My current trailering vehicle is a Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk with a towing capacity of 5,000 lbs with the towing package. While I know that there are people who are adamant that trucks are the only way to go, every single piece of literature I have read said that I will not have an issue with this car pulling a light trailer. I am placing my max towing weight at 4,000 lbs to allow a buffer.

My horse weighs roughly 1,000 lbs, leaving me to look for a lightweight trailer. I would like to avoid jumping into option 3 at this time as moving is expensive enough without tacking on the cost and upkeep of a new vehicle. I was looking at the Brenderup Trailers, but considering my current rural location (about 10 hours from the nearest Craigslist posting) and my concern about the scarcity of replacement parts I've started to look back into other brands light featherlite.

So I'm desperate for any insight anyone might have. I know I can always transport him and continue my research, but I want to be able to move him if an emergency occurs.



Submitted May 02, 2017 at 07:17PM by surefoot_
via reddit http://ift.tt/2pVWX1s

No comments :

Post a Comment