Monday, March 6, 2017

#horses - #Need help halter breaking a colt. Getting back into riding, pretty good in the saddle need Husbandry help!!!!


Need help halter breaking a colt. Getting back into riding, pretty good in the saddle need Husbandry help!!!!

I'm brand new here, hello! I've just gotten back into riding after a couple decades hiatus and it's wonderful. The lady I lease a horse from got stuck with an 8 month old male boarder, let's call him Colt, who ended up being abandoned. (The legal stuff is being worked out and his background is being checked out.)

I have more time than the property owner does and want to help gentle the colt. I'm the first person he's taken food from (last week) and today I gave him a bunch of treats while petting him. He even let me curry comb him.

I'm an animal person, dogs that don't like people like me and things like that, but I'm no horse trainer. I'm a dog trainer. I want to get Colt to the point where he trusts people again. I found out recently that his previous owner would whip Colt if he backed up from her. I rode a lot when I was younger, mostly "hack horses" where you rent a horse for an hour. I read the Saddle Club series and lots of books.

What books can I read to help Colt? Don't tell anyone but I really like him. He really needs some attention and I don't want to mess him up. He's going to take a village and I'm part of that village. Help make me a better citizen, please.

I also want to be a better Western rider. I might want to barrel race, I might want to just pleasure ride in a field. The horse I lease is a bit stubborn, probably from being from not being ridden regularly. One day I'd like to own horses and I'd love some resources to improve my husbandry skills, preferably on the frugal side of things.

Thanks so much!

Too Long Didn't Read: I need help with the basics for a young horse and want to improve my riding after 2 decades not riding and need general horse behavioral knowledge.



Submitted March 06, 2017 at 08:58PM by BigCityDwight
via reddit http://ift.tt/2mvyGwF

No comments :

Post a Comment