Friday, March 17, 2017

#horses - #Help Please: Horse Continuously Hollows Out Back


Help Please: Horse Continuously Hollows Out Back

Hi all, coming here for some advice because I am starting to feel frustrated.

I purchased a horse back in July time frame. He's not exactly greenbroke but he wasn't finished by any means and had a great deal of time off. We've spent the last several months working on balance (he's improved a ton), a nice relaxed walk (he's improved a ton), and bringing down his head so that he's not constantly hollowing out his back, and a nice relaxed trot. But his head position and his tendency to hollow out his back has been a real struggle for both of us.

We spend a lot of time on inside leg outside rein, stretchy half halts (giving when he gets it a little), lunging, and just trying to get him to relax at the trot to bring his head down. But he's not getting it.

Simultaneously, he's been struggling with back soreness, very likely due to how he's carrying himself. I've gotten his teeth floated, I've had two vets check him, I had a professional saddle fitter out and swapped out my Tack, chiro appts, massages, and I've tried a few other bits (different variations of th French link and a snaffle). He sometimes gets really fussy with his head and at this point, I've had both vets assure me it's just because he's sore due to how he is carrying himself.

My question is: what else can I do to help him get it? I currently lunge in a cavesson but no side reins. I was always taught not to use side reins to force the horse into position so I haven't used them on him. Should I be? Should I just be more patient? Should I try a different bit? I'm honestly at a loss.

I should also note that my trainer has ridden him a lot as well and he acts the same under saddle when ridden by her, so I don't think it's me.

Any advice is very much appreciated!



Submitted March 17, 2017 at 05:40PM by kmanna
via reddit http://ift.tt/2mcFn7F

No comments :

Post a Comment