Tuesday, June 2, 2020

#horses - #I'm a dude, I want to learn how to ride, but I can't get past certain mental blocks.


I'm a dude, I want to learn how to ride, but I can't get past certain mental blocks.

Ever since I was a kid, I always thought that horses were some of the most beautiful and majestic creatures ever put on this earth, and I've ALWAYS wanted to learn how to ride. However, one of the biggest problems with that was the fact that I am a man, and horseback riding has always been in recent years, a female dominated sport.

Now, in absolutley no way am I trying to be sexist here, AT ALL. The problem is, I always felt like I had to keep my desire to learn to ride in the closet as a kid so I wouldn't be made fun of by the other boys in my school. And I remember a time when I dropped a hint to my class when I was in 6th grade....and guess what happened? In their minds "Horseback riding is a girly hobby, therefore we are going to assume that you want to be a girl, so we're gonna start a rumor that you're gonna have a sex change operation when you turn 18 and turn it into a school-wide joke" So I was bullied, called the F-slur and the T-slur many a time...And because of that experience, I had to put my desire to enter the world of equestrianism in the closet.

And I know, "xboxfan34, that was 15 years ago, the assholes that bullied you in school don't matter anymore" However, bullying is something that leaves a scar on you for the rest of your life...And I always felt that if I learn to ride, there's gonna be people out there that are going to judge me....And to impact this further, I'm also openly gay. And I've always felt like people are going to be like "of course, he like's horseback riding, he's gay." It's almost like I have to come out of two closets. The traditional LGBT closet, and the equestrian closet.

Anyway...I hope this long winded rant made some kind of sense to you guys.



Submitted June 02, 2020 at 07:16AM by xboxfan34
via reddit https://www.reddit.com/r/Horses/comments/gv75av/im_a_dude_i_want_to_learn_how_to_ride_but_i_cant/?utm_source=ifttt

No comments :

Post a Comment