Tuesday, June 9, 2020

#horses - #How to pass horses on the road?


How to pass horses on the road?

Hello horse-folk! Alberta Motorcyclist here; looking for some advice.

Today I had a little mishap while riding my motorbike out of town. I was exploring some rural gravel roads when I saw two people riding horses ahead of me. I slowed right down and both riders came to a stop within my lane, close to the right shoulder.

As I approached to go by, I slowed to around ~20km/h ( ~15mph ) and moved as far left as I could. As I coasted past the two ladies, one of the horses got spooked, spun and bolted a few steps. The lady riding the horse did not appear to be having a good time at this point. Seeing this, I came to a stop so as to not scare the horse anymore. The rider regained control and rode up behind me and began berating me for going past them in an unsafe manner. I apologized and tried to explain that I thought I had been quite careful while passing them. I then asked what I should do next time to keep everyone happy? I didn't really get an answer here other than being told that the police would be called next time. I started imagining that I'm oblivious to some dreadfully important traffic rule regarding passing horses on a public road and felt quite bad for having endangered someone.

The lady was still quite upset. I decided it was probably for the best if I went on my way. I again apologized and rolled away as slow as I could. Riding home for about another hour, I was replaying the whole thing in my head, still puzzled as to whether or not I had done something really No Bueno. I didn't have good luck finding any info on this once I got home, so I thought I'd say Hello and ask here.

If any of you ride on public roads, would you mind telling me what the expected behavior is when cars, motorbikes and horse-riders pass one another? Could you share some good and bad experiences? I have great respect for horses and the folks that ride and care for them and want the next time we meet on the road to go smoothly.

Thanks for your time!



Submitted June 09, 2020 at 10:40PM by Altai22
via reddit https://www.reddit.com/r/Horses/comments/h03w4z/how_to_pass_horses_on_the_road/?utm_source=ifttt

No comments :

Post a Comment