Thursday, March 26, 2020

#horses - #NEED URGENT FLOATING ADVICE


NEED URGENT FLOATING ADVICE

So, my boy is seven. He's an Australian brumby and practically golden, he was bought as a therapy horse for me during a very dark time and dear God does he have a personality. He's the only horse I feel one hundred percent safe with and I worship him - his one downfall.. He's a pain to float. Previously, he's been at least a four hour job, which was fine during days I didn't have a time limit.

I don't own a float or a towable car, so hiring out has become my only option, which usually gives a pretty steep time limit before you're spewing dollar bills out your butt. I recently even hired a transport company, who, after trying until it was too dark to see, charged me a hefty fee and left him where he was at and I was right back where I started with a new hole in my pocket.

Problem is, he doesn't appear frightened or frustrated with the float, he rears every now and again, but it honestly seems like he just doesn't want to, and knows if he waits long enough, he won't have to.

I've arranged to have him floated this coming Monday, which is already a base price of just under four hundred dollars (that I've had to borrow), and I've come to learn they charge a 100/per hour fee for loading! I simply cannot afford for my boy to give me the four hour run around. I need desperate help to float this guy!

A bit of background is that he's always been a difficult floater, right back when I got him and three. And every time I've worked on his habits, someone's come and done buggered him up and rewound all the hard work. A few years ago, an ex friend of mine floated him and a huge QH mare, and then negligently went to work five hours at her job, leaving them crammed in that small space before dropping them off at my house, which, as I pulled open the front door, exposed that they had both collapsed and were on the verge of, what looked to a little seventeen year old me, death.

It was very traumatic and understandably, afterwards he was difficult to float. However, he's been moved countless times since then, all ranging around the four hour to load mark, and if I have the time, I've spent a good amount of work float training him before returning the hire, but any amount of time between training and desensitizing puts him right back where we started.

He's about three and a half hours away from me, and I desperately want him close, but I fear that if I can't float him this time, I simply will not be able to afford to attempt again for another disappointing result. I love this horse, even now, he's one of the few things that immediately relieves my anxiety and I miss him so much. Please, any advice is deeply appreciated.



Submitted March 26, 2020 at 04:52PM by minikelzke
via reddit https://www.reddit.com/r/Horses/comments/fpljab/need_urgent_floating_advice/?utm_source=ifttt

No comments :

Post a Comment