Saturday, March 16, 2019

#horses - #How do you get past being kicked at?


How do you get past being kicked at?

I've had my mare for near 10 years now. She's always been pretty hot-tempered, and we know she had an abusive background before she came to us. Yesterday I was lunging her and I could tell she was being antsy but brushed it off as no big deal (she's always kinda nervous at first but then calms down after a small buck and a few head tosses). It was all fine till she popped into a canter without me asking, hopped forward onto her front legs and threw a cow kick that (thankfully) came only about a foot short... From my forehead. She immediately stopped, I verbally reprimanded her and she came towards me apologetically and put her head in my chest. She has always been hot tempered but in my 10 years of working with her she has never aimed a hoof at me. I really didn't know what to do after that. I tried continuing on the lunge for a few minutes but I found myself continuously feeling the need to back away from her which I know is not correct form so I just called it a day. All I could (and still am) keep thinking is 'a foot more and I would be in a coma or much much worse." Those who have had dealt with this, how did you overcome that fear, and how did you help your horse move past it as well?



Submitted March 16, 2019 at 09:12AM by Sahara_M27
via reddit https://www.reddit.com/r/Horses/comments/b1tgj4/how_do_you_get_past_being_kicked_at/?utm_source=ifttt

No comments :

Post a Comment