Friday, January 25, 2019

#horses - #I can't afford my horse, but I feel too attached to sell him


I can't afford my horse, but I feel too attached to sell him

Hi all! Let me start by saying that I have two horses, my mare, Riley and my gelding, Gordon. I've had Riley for 3 years and couldn't possibly sell her. I bought Gordon a little over a year ago as a second horse for my boyfriend to ride. He does still technically belong to me, though.

When I bought Gordon, I was working on a ranch in Wisconsin. It made sense at the time to have him, and I was able to afford him. However, I moved back to Illinois in May. It was ok for a while, even though boarding him at a local barn is pricier here. I pay $750 a month for the both of them. I worked at a very upscale steakhouse and was able to pay for it. It was a little stressful, and I didn't have a ton of disposable income, but my boyfriend and I made it work. We decided that we weren't spending enough time riding Gordon, and put him up for sale in June.

I got a few inquiries but nothing ever came out of them. A few people came to look at the horse and test ride him, but then decided that they either couldn't afford him or found another horse that they liked better. Over the next few months, I started to spend more time riding him to prepare him to sell. I realized slowly that I was really liking him, almost as much as I like my main horse. I started to consider keeping him and taking him off the market for real...

In November, I lost my job. I had enough money left to pay for the board for December, and my parents gifted me some money for Christmas that went towards the January board. Now I'm all out of money and I haven't found a new job yet. I have received one email from someone who was interested in him, but I haven't been able to reply yet. The fact is that I cannot afford him anymore, but I love him. Does anyone have any advice on how to sell a pet that you love dearly?



Submitted January 25, 2019 at 11:23PM by Magatron5000
via reddit https://www.reddit.com/r/Horses/comments/ajyi8p/i_cant_afford_my_horse_but_i_feel_too_attached_to/?utm_source=ifttt

No comments :

Post a Comment