Tuesday, October 16, 2018

#horses - #What are your best exercises for strengthening and straightening the hind?


What are your best exercises for strengthening and straightening the hind?

Ideally driving exercises or simple riding exercises.

My 6yo Welsh cob has had a neck injury most of her life that has really had a massive effect on her canter.
She is much better now but runs away from the departure. I work her as relaxed as possible at the trot because she tends to get anxious and drop her back, and only ask for collection when she offers it herself as I'm far too weak to really pick her up (chronic fatigue, I currently have very little muscle myself and use all my energy on her :p).

I try to get a few departures in on both hands every time I ride her and while she is certainly getting better, she picks up counter or cross canter quite often, particularly on the left hand, and runs and drops her back.

We barely have hills nearby, everything is flat as a pancake around here. :( But I try to take her out on long jogs.

I drive her a lot but she is quite green, and our arenas are too small for her (very big) canter with a carriage.

I am going to get her saddle checked out soon. She is definitely better when I lunge her in only a cavesson but I can't stand very long (again because of the fatigue) so ground work is sadly limited to short and far between sessions.



Submitted October 15, 2018 at 04:21PM by a_flock_of_ravens
via reddit https://www.reddit.com/r/Horses/comments/9ohi4y/what_are_your_best_exercises_for_strengthening/?utm_source=ifttt

No comments :

Post a Comment