Friday, August 3, 2018

#horses - #Any tips for someone interested in horse ownership?


Any tips for someone interested in horse ownership?

I have been in love with horses my entire life and now that I'm approaching 30, I really want to make some moves towards making a horse a part of my life. I have taken lessons (we rode, cleaned and tended) and done trail rides, but never owned.

 

I'm looking for some general advice, warnings, tips, guidance, WHATEVER for someone who has never owned before. I'll be living in Colorado and mostly want a horse I can take on trail rides. I'm also putting a few questions below.

 

Do I need a truck? I'm currently looking at getting a Subaru Outback for my move to CO, but I'm debating whether I need to look harder at tow capacity if I plan on getting a horse.

 

Is it better to take lessons with YOUR horse, or is it just as effective to take lessons with a stables horses?

 

Opinions on rescues v breeders?

 

If you board, how many days a week do you visit your horse? (Ideally one day I'll have some property where I can keep my horse, but in the short term I think that's unlikely.)

 

How expensive is it REALLY? I have gotten "costs annually" around $2500-$4000, which doesn't seem like THAT much for a horse. Obviously there will be vet bills, gear, etc. But is this something that someone who is "(mid to low mid) middle class-ish" can reasonably afford? My only other pricey hobby is painting, and that really isn't too bad.

 

Does anyone have dogs and horses? How do they mix? I have two mixed breed dogs (2yo, 6mo). Both have some lab/hunting breeds in the mix but they're generally well behaved. I'm always working on their obedience training. I'm wondering if (if/when) they are on my property together this is going to be an issue. Obviously the horse will be fenced in, but I don't want the horse to be hysterical at the sight of a dog.



Submitted August 03, 2018 at 07:54AM by hydrohamster
via reddit https://www.reddit.com/r/Horses/comments/949rs3/any_tips_for_someone_interested_in_horse_ownership/?utm_source=ifttt

No comments :

Post a Comment