Wednesday, July 25, 2018

#horses - #Bits for western pleasure?


Bits for western pleasure?

Hey guys so I unfortunately have to retire my main barrel horse from racing due to some leg problems and am going to start training him for pleasure shows since he already has the headset and the slow gaits down. I already found a Tex Tan saddle that fits him nicely but I have a few questions on the other tack required! I am going to buy him a one ear bridle soon but I have no idea what bits are legal in the show ring. I know it has to be shanked and cannot be a snaffle as he is over 6 years old, I usually ride him in a smooth snaffle for fun and would run him in a short shanked twisted dog bone but that is sort of a gag bit I think so I don't think its legal (its the sherry cervi short shank twisted dog bone.) I found this bit and was wondering if it would work https://www.chicksaddlery.com/professionals-choice-bob-avila-santa-rosa-shank-dog-bone-roller or if it has to be something with a port?

Also! I ride him currently in a black CSI square saddle pad, do I need a show blanket or to buy an impact gel pad that is colorful or is a plain pad acceptable? I also really *really* do not want to cut his mane. Ive heard that its becoming more acceptable to have long manes that are just banded flat, is that true? I clearly have no idea what I'm doing and I don't know of any trainers within an hour radius of me for lessons most are English riders or Arabian show people so its a bit different. So if anyone can give me tips and pointers I'd greatly appreciate it!



Submitted July 25, 2018 at 10:36AM by dunmorestriden
via reddit https://www.reddit.com/r/Horses/comments/91tfdg/bits_for_western_pleasure/?utm_source=ifttt

No comments :

Post a Comment