Sunday, June 17, 2018

#horses - #New to horses, renting a house on a horse farm


New to horses, renting a house on a horse farm

I am renting an Amish farm house where the Amish farmer keeps about 8 horses. He rotates them on and off the farm as they work for him. I am new to horses - I am about 6'7" 320 lbs - would like to make friends with the horses but I am unsure how to approach them. What is the proper way to approach a horse to express friendliness ? I mentioned my size because perhaps I may be imposing as a larger human being - maybe not - but worth noting since I am new. I have had solo horses come to the fence curious about me while I use the well pump very close to the fence. I have noticed that all the horses appear to be perpetually bothered by flies. Especially around their eyes. Is it appropriate to look them in the eye ? wipe the flies from them? what to do to make friends? Oh.. one minor note... last night one of the curious ones jumped a bit as if startled while I was pumping water and made a somewhat quick gesture. He/ she didn't run off, but just appeared to jump when I moved a little to quickly.

Any suggestions appreciated



Submitted June 17, 2018 at 10:44AM by milmont77
via reddit https://www.reddit.com/r/Horses/comments/8rs8o9/new_to_horses_renting_a_house_on_a_horse_farm/?utm_source=ifttt

No comments :

Post a Comment