Wednesday, May 9, 2018

#horses - #Why would my horse suddenly stop eating supplements?


Why would my horse suddenly stop eating supplements?

I have a 10-ish year old mare who has always gobbled up any food put in front of her. She's been eating Blue Seal Sentinel LT (approx. 4-5 quarts per day depending on activity level, she's a relatively easy keeper) and has had Smartpak supplements once a day for years- currently SmartCalm Ultra and SmartGut. I recently moved her across the state to a new barn where she has been settling in nicely, and has been there now for about 3 weeks. I just received a text from the barn owner that she is "no longer eating her supplements."

The new barn does provide more and better quality hay throughout the day, but she has been eating and drinking normally up to this point. Does anyone know why she would all of a sudden decide to not eat her supplements specifically? I've had this mare for like, 8 years and she's never refused a meal or anything else you offer. She even eats grain soaked in Ace. I'm at a loss.



Submitted May 09, 2018 at 11:49AM by cornchip
via reddit https://www.reddit.com/r/Horses/comments/8i7y80/why_would_my_horse_suddenly_stop_eating/?utm_source=ifttt

No comments :

Post a Comment