Saturday, May 12, 2018

#horses - #When do you retire your horses?


When do you retire your horses?

Just a question as I have never owned an older horse myself.

At the trail riding stable I worked at our 26yr old mare was one of our reliable daily rides for kids and lighter riders who would stick to walk/trot only.

At another stable every now and then we would take the older horses (that still had good condition) 23+yrs for a quick canter around the pastures and arenas every couple of weeks.

I know a woman who still takes her 28yr gelding for gentle trail rides a few times a week.

One of my first lesson horses I rode we did lower jumps and short courses on, and she was 24 years old and still very spry.

I know some people retire their horses at 20 despite no physical faults, they just become pasture pets.

So what are your experiences? Of course illness and loss of condition will lead to earlier retirement but I would love to hear your experiences.



Submitted May 12, 2018 at 10:24AM by 1-0-9
via reddit https://www.reddit.com/r/Horses/comments/8ix3lv/when_do_you_retire_your_horses/?utm_source=ifttt

No comments :

Post a Comment