Wednesday, May 2, 2018

#horses - #New horse, I have many questions!


New horse, I have many questions!

I (/family) will be getting two horses at the end of this month. One is a 3-5 yr old rescue mare (NSH) who does not have previous riding experience that we know of. She is very sweet and seems to be quite submissive/eager to please. The other is a 19 yr old gelding (QH) who has plenty of experience under his belt (girth? lol).

The whole family would really love to have them both as 1000+ lb pets and be satisfied with that, but I am hoping to be able to start the mare under saddle. I have a decent amount of riding experience in multiple situations with lots of horses but never a green one and have never attempted training.

I have been watching a lot of Clinton Anderson, Missy Wryn, and various other YouTube training videos. Does anyone have suggestions? I can't help but think perhaps I am insane for deciding to try to work with this horse with as little experience as I have, but then I think there's a first time for everything, right?!

Side note; I would prefer to do bitless bridles so if anyone has suggestions for that please let me know. :)

Thank you so much in advance!



Submitted May 02, 2018 at 12:51AM by katybells
via reddit https://www.reddit.com/r/Horses/comments/8gffap/new_horse_i_have_many_questions/?utm_source=ifttt

No comments :

Post a Comment