Thursday, May 10, 2018

#horses - #My old man may leave this world soon.


My old man may leave this world soon.

Ive never lost a horse before. Ive had him most of my life. 21 years, actually. He's 23 now. He's always looked great for his age, but the last year he's dropped weight. He keeps choking. His teeth are in good shape and he only eats very moist mash and is in pasture. He had another choke yesterday evening, and it was bad. He took one bite of grain and that was it. He started drooling, rolling, coughing, wretching. It didn't unblock easily, and a lot of debris was removed. His vet thinks he likely has megaesophagus, but without an endoscopy we can't know for sure. I don't know if I'll pursue one.... I don't know that it'll change what I do.

I don't know. I hate these decisions. Do I euthanize before he chokes again? Wait? Doc said no grass or hay. That's no way to live. He'll be depressed. He'll colic.

I hate this.

I don't know what to expect tomorrow. When I left him, he still looked rough. I waited for the sedation to wear off, and he had banamine and an antibiotic, but his respiratory effort concerned both his vet and myself.

Maybe he'll make the decision for me. I don't know if that'd make it easier for me. I don't want to lose my best friend.



Submitted May 10, 2018 at 12:32AM by pumpkinbread987
via reddit https://www.reddit.com/r/Horses/comments/8icu2c/my_old_man_may_leave_this_world_soon/?utm_source=ifttt

No comments :

Post a Comment