Friday, May 4, 2018

#horses - #Advice on a napping pony?


Advice on a napping pony?

I have a fell pony on loan and have done since last summer. She used to be really good when I hacked out on her with other horses and she can be perfect to ride and very quiet. However, sometimes she will nap and spin around and run back to the yard, even in the company of other horses. She wears a running martingale and has a snaffle bit, no flash. Usually when she does spin around I find I have no control and it can be scary when she does it on the main road...if I am firm enough with her she will stop and I can make her walk on where I want her to, but she usually tries more than once on a ride to set off home. She seems to give up when I get very angry with her, but I would love to to be able to ride her without fighting with her. When I've been hacking out alone on her, I've only been confident to take her on one route and I try to keep my reins short, talk to her and keep kicking her on. She hasn't napped since I've done this, although she has tried but I've been able to catch her before she takes control. I don't feel confident to try and take her somewhere a bit further on my own in case she gets the better of me and runs off again! I know I need to do something to stop this as it can be dangerous. People at my livery yard have mentioned a stronger bit, but I don't know how I feel about that as I'd like to be as gentle as I can with her. Any tips?



Submitted May 04, 2018 at 04:51AM by twinkleem
via reddit https://www.reddit.com/r/Horses/comments/8gybo2/advice_on_a_napping_pony/?utm_source=ifttt

No comments :

Post a Comment