Wednesday, April 4, 2018

#horses - #Looking for some advice about injections...


Looking for some advice about injections...

Hello all, I am at a crossroad with my gelding and would love some input from fellow horse people out there. Ok on to the issue:

My 18yr old quarter horse gelding, Cody, has been dealing with some joint/lameness issue in his back end. We saw the vet last week and she is coming back next week for X-rays. Her first thought was arthritis in the hocks, and she was pretty quick to say injections.

I have no experience with injections, other than seeing them go horribly wrong and a horse almost got put down. I have been gathering opinions from others around me and the general consensus is that injections are a bandaid for a bigger issue.

Cody is semi retired, he was my barrel horse in high school, and I don't ride hard or frequently anymore. Basically I just want to make sure he isn't in pain, and can still be ridden if at all possible. He is otherwise a very healthy, happy, and energetic horse.

My questions so far: If my horse gets injections will he injure himself further because he feels better even though internally he is still injured? Have any of you gone though this, what was your outcome? What other questions should I ask my vet before we proceed? Is it unrealistic to want to be able to ride him for a few more years? Have you tried other methods with good outcomes?

Thank you for any input you can give me, you all understand how much his health means to me.



Submitted April 04, 2018 at 10:15AM by Rochellle
via reddit https://www.reddit.com/r/Horses/comments/89qw6k/looking_for_some_advice_about_injections/?utm_source=ifttt

No comments :

Post a Comment