Friday, April 6, 2018

#horses - #Barn drama complete with cops!


Barn drama complete with cops!

So I am completely exhausted with my barn and the people at it. Let me start by saying that I love the barn itself, I pay a reasonable amount and my horse has never been happier. The facility is a dream come true with pastures you wouldn't believe.

 

But what the hell is wrong with people.

 

First, the barn is run by a lot of non-horse people. They are people that take great care of the property, but the barn manager is a little rough around the edges who definitely has more skills with building and maintaining the barn than actually caring for the horses. To me, he has always been very compassionate and gentle with the horses and my horse is definitely not afraid of him. He has a drinking problem that everyone is obsessed with gossiping about along with drug accusations that I always ignore. I have grown up with horses my entire life and have worked and traveled to a lot of barns and have had zero issues with the barn manager despite the rumors. So long as my horse is safe and happy I could not care less about the gossip.

 

The boarders at the barn are an absolute nightmare. Two of the main trouble makers are older women that just got their very first horses. Lady 1 has 6 kids that she lets run wild and didn't let her experience stop her from "rescuing" three horses, one of which is a notorious cribber. Lady 2 is an older woman who also rescued a 4 year old unbroke monster mare that even makes me anxious. These two have done nothing but refuse to accept that horses can get hurt in a pasture setting and that sometimes things happen without a bad guy.

 

Well these two ladies have said forever that the barn manager has been beating their horses with whips and kicking them. Despite this, they have not left and only continue to spread rumors. My horse is extremely sensitive and has never had a single whip mark or a mark that could not be explained by being a horse out in a field. When I get to the barn today, I notice almost all of the stalls are empty. I go about my time with my horse until another boarder shows up and tells me that the cops were out earlier as well as animal control because the barn manager attacked one of the horses and cut it in the throat.

 

What.

 

There was a bloody handprint in the stall and I packed it up and called the barn owner on my way home. The story is that lady 1 thinks that the barn manager has been abusing their horses because of disagreements and that the barn manager cut this horses throat, the cribbing horse who has been injured before, right around it's throat latch. The cut from what I have heard was shallow, but by the time it got to me it was too late to call animal control or the police to verify any stories.

SOOO now I'm over here with no idea what to believe and no clue what to do with my horse. It seems outrageous that the barn manager would do this, but I can't help but worry that I'm putting him at risk leaving him at this barn. We are extremely limited with barns in the area and I just am at a loss right now and don't want to just act emotionally based off of hearsay.



Submitted April 06, 2018 at 07:07PM by horse_thoughts
via reddit https://www.reddit.com/r/Horses/comments/8aeof1/barn_drama_complete_with_cops/?utm_source=ifttt

No comments :

Post a Comment