Tuesday, March 13, 2018

#horses - #Pony/horse size vs. kid size


Pony/horse size vs. kid size

At the barn I ride, there's a little six-year-old girl who got a horse recently. I was told that she's been riding for about 3 years, and her mom and the barn owner have been looking for the right horse for her for a year and half.

What surprises me is the size of the horse. I'm not the best at estimating height, but he looks pretty tall to me--at least a bit taller than the lesson horse I ride (I think my lesson horse is about 15.1 or 15.2 hands--I'm a shade under 5'1" and his withers are just a little bit taller than me). I would think that a pony would be better for a kid that size. What are the reasons for having a kid ride a horse at that age, instead of a pony? Temperment? A horse that she can "grow into" and still ride when she's a teenager?

And to thank you for reading/providing insight, here's a short-but-adorable pony video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaz403-Cu64&feature=youtu.be



Submitted March 13, 2018 at 07:31PM by NymeriaGhost
via reddit https://www.reddit.com/r/Horses/comments/849l2s/ponyhorse_size_vs_kid_size/?utm_source=ifttt

No comments :

Post a Comment