Sunday, March 25, 2018

#horses - #Heart is so full I can hardly stand it!


Heart is so full I can hardly stand it!

Somewhat of a long text but I cannot be more excited, figured this was the best place to share my joy. TL;DR at the bottom

I purchased my mare Sailor about a year and a half ago. She is everything I ever wanted but she has some issues. She wouldn't stay straight, her head was always held high to escape the bit, always wanted to rush and was heavy on the bit when being asked to slow up. My trainer is amazing and has given me tons of tips and things to try (such as alternating between a snaffle bit, correction bit, and something with a low port and shank) and slowly she has become straighter, her head has come down, but yet the rushing has not ceased or become better. Sure, we have a few good rides here and there when she was mostly calm, but I would have to continuously have to stay on the bit to keep her maintained.

Another thing to mention is I looked Sailor up on YouTube and found some videos of her being calm and slow at the W/T/C. My trainer knows the woman that owned her before me and several of those horses have left a little crazy.

The other day I asked my trainer if there was something between the correction bit and the slight port. I believe that I should not have to rely on a bit to keep Sailor somewhat controlled because I feel like I have to be too hard on her mouth. She suggested trying something similar to a French link with shanks and a roller.... the change was instant! She was straight, her head stayed down, she responded to the slightest touch of the reins, and best of all? When I set her up to canter, once I set the pace I wanted, I was finally allowed to lower my reining hand and she stayed where she was asked. I have never been able to do this with my horse in all the time I've known her.

I understand that this might be a temporary thing, but just the thought that she can stay calm is just an amazing feeling.

TL;DR horse doesn't want to stay calm at the canter and tries to take off. After trying so many different things, bits, training... I finally had a fantastic ride after using a French link bit for a reining bred horse.



Submitted March 25, 2018 at 09:26AM by LindseyLee5
via reddit https://www.reddit.com/r/Horses/comments/871cou/heart_is_so_full_i_can_hardly_stand_it/?utm_source=ifttt

No comments :

Post a Comment